Pages

flourless milo chocolate cake


We should really start making flourless things more often. They make fudgy cakes. Like this Flourless Chocolate Cake with a dash of Milo. I'm not even kidding.

I was desperate and it was sort of like a found-myself-without-an-eraser-during-exam-time situation. The recipe calls for cocoa but I thought I would be adventurous. I hardly ever. My cocoa ran out. 

It turned out to be the best decision I ever made. So much more satisfying than flour things.


(recipe adopted and adjusted from Epicurious)

100g fine-quality bittersweet chocolate
1/2 cup butter
3/4 cup sugar
3 large eggs
1/2 cup milo powder

1. Preheat oven to 200°C and butter an 8 inch round baking pan. Line bottom with non-stick parchment paper.
2. Chop chocolate into small pieces. Set bowl over a saucepan of barely simmering water, melt chocolate with butter, stir until smooth.
3. Remove bowl from heat. Add sugar, eggs and whisk well.
4. Sift milo powder over chocolate mixture and whisk until just combined.
5. Pour batter into pan and bake for 25 minutes, or until top has formed a thin crust.
6. Remove from oven, cool cake in pan on a rack for 5 minutes and invert onto a serving plate.

Dust cake with icing sugar or milo powder if desired.


I am going to bake this thing and make it a ritual every week. Real life right here.

T.